NERFA is the Northeast Regional chapter of Folk Alliance International www.folkalliance.org. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our members to network regionally and advance the overall mission of Folk Alliance International to:
- Increase understanding of the rich variety, artistic value, cultural and historical significance, and continuing relevance of folk music and dance among educators, media and the general public. (Education),
- Provide a bridge to and from folk music and dance organizations and needed resources, and to help those organizations link with their constituencies. (Networking),
- Influence decision makers and resource providers on the national, state, provincial, and local levels, insuring the growth of folk music and dance. (Advocacy),
- Support and encourage the development of new and existing grassroots folk music and dance organizations. (Field Development),
- Strengthen the effectiveness of folk music and dance organizations by providing professional development opportunities. (Professional Development)
To help accomplish these goals, NERFA holds an annual four-day conference where, artists, agents, booking agents, venue and festival promoters, recording industry professionals, graphic artists, folk DJs, journalists, photographers, publicists and production professionals get together to exchange ideas, learn by attending workshops, panel discussions and seminars, participate in an exhibit hall, attend formal showcases of juried performers, and go to private and guerilla showcases hosted by performers, agents and promoters. NERFA has recently expanded its outreach by holding more local one-day conferences within its region.
NERFA fosters and promotes member initiatives primarily in the following countries, US states and Canadian Provinces: Connecticut, District of Columbia, Delaware, Greenland, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Pennsylvania, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Rhode Island and Vermont. If you are in this region, or would like to participate in our efforts to advance folk music and dance in the Northeast United States, Eastern Canada and Greenland, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org call us on (215) 546-7766.
The Northeast Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) is organized under the non-profit laws of the State of Pennsylvania and as an educational, charitable, tax-exempt organization as within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code.